27 June 2016

What the Hell is "Vlogpackers"?


Anyone who knows me or Callum will know that we've both had our own blogs for quite some time now. I started my blog, www.emmieleey.com two years ago and have written pretty regularly for it ever since and Callum started his blog a year or so ago. 

He didn't want me to link to it because, in his words, "it looks shit". 


It isn't shit - his writing never fails to make me laugh (especially this one), which is one of the reasons I thought it would be a nice idea to set up our own blog together for when we go travelling in March.


I guess we could have just posted the posts from our travels on our own blogs, but we really wanted something our friends and family could check up on while we're away and also something for us to look back on when we return - the result: Vlogpackers.


The name was all Callum's idea and the first few times he said it, all I could think of was the phrase "fudgepackers" - a phrase I do not recommend Googling, especially if you are at work.


In the end, we decided on Vlogpackers; mainly because we're going to be vlogging our travels as well as blogging and as cringe as that sounds, I really don't care. It's only once in your life you get to go on a year long trip around the world, so I plan on preserving every memory I can. 


The last few times we've been away together things have gone wrong, terribly wrong. Here are a few of my personal favourites:

  • We went to Brussels for three days and on our way back, the migrants stormed the channel tunnel and we were delayed for so long that by the time we finally got back to London all the trains had stopped for the night and we missed work the next day. Lovely.
  • Callum got his phone stolen by a taxi driver in Corfu.
  • I accidentally threw an anchor overboard from our rental boat in Corfu. We got fined €100. Not ideal.
  • The hotel in Corfu we stayed at promised a sea view. We got a view of the communal bins. 
  • We managed to book a whale watching tour in Iceland during the most unlikely time of the year to see whales. If you didn't see anything though, you got your money back. Great, right? The woman running the tour saw 10% of a porpoise for all of 0.3 seconds and that meant, you guessed it: we didn't get our money back. 
  • My personal favourite: 5 days after booking our round-the-world, our country voted to leave the EU and the pound fell to its lowest since 1985. Fab. 
So, based on our history of disaster following us wherever we go, we thought that having a blog/vlog running while we're away might make a pretty amusing read/watch for our families and friends back home. 

Travelling isn't always going to be like looking through an Instagram filter, is it?

No comments:

Post a Comment